Public Comment New Energy Industry

On Monday May 16th a hearing was held for the:

NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING of the NEW ENERGY INDUSTRY TASK FORCE TECHNICAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE on CLEAN ENERGY SOURCES

5.16.16 e

A video link was provided in Las Vegas for the Reno hearing.  My public comment is below:

The 21st century is already seeing the start of the next great transition in energy sources—away from fossil fuels towards renewable energy. This transition is motivated by many factors, including concerns about environmental impacts, limits on fossil fuel reserves, prices, and technological change.

While it is true that renewable energy provides great environmental benefits, it is just as true and often overlooked that renewable energy provides considerable economic and social benefits.

Renewable energy is not just about saving the environment any more. It is now also about stimulating the economy, creating jobs, generating new sources for growth, increasing income.

“When I am working on a problem I never think about the beauty.  I only think about how to solve the problem.  But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.”  Buckminster Fuller

American architect, systems theorist, author, designer and inventor

5.16.16 d

When people join together to share and discuss, a work of art can make us more tolerant of difference and of one another. The encounter with public art – and with others over art – can help us identify with one another, expand our notions of we, and show us that individual engagement in the world has actual consequences. That’s why artists and creatives should be invited more often to take part in discussions of social, political and ecological issues.

When leaders at all levels consider solutions to the challenges that face us in the world today, they should be looking to the arts to provide a road map for increased public awareness and a universal embrace of positive change that benefits all socioeconomic groups.

The Land Art Generator Initiative is working with cities, developers, and institutions to bring culturally-relevant renewable energy infrastructures to specific sites and projects with a place making and public art approach.  By engaging artists and designers in the conceptualization of clean power plants, they are increasing the value of developments while reducing their carbon footprints.  By including primary stakeholders and community representatives in the design process from the start, these energy projects avoid the pitfalls of NIMBY and become places where people are proud to live, work, and recreate.

Renewable Envoy is working with LAGI to bring the project to Nevada in 2018.  The result will be an aesthetically considered renewable energy power plant that will interest tourist to new areas in Las Vegas, increase the quality of life for residents, and provide an educational venue to learn about sustainable technologies.

We live in interesting times, times that certainly pose challenges but that also offer incredible opportunities to change and improve the way we live and work with each other and the world around us.  We know that change it happening all around and in spite of us.  It is up to us to embrace the synergies, incorporate the most effective strategies and technologies, fundamentally understand and integrate the challenges and embrace the opportunities so that we end up with a public built environment that is more engaging, more welcoming, and more effective – in short, better than we found it.

5.16.16. b Grant Sawyer State Office Building

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s